Faith, Hope and Love: Encouragement for Women

Life lessons learned from a woman, wife and mother living it.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Tempting Priorities

When God blesses you with a child, he is entrusting to you the responsibility of loving this child to the best of your ability so that he will grow up to be a productive member of society. So why is it that the most important job God gives us seems to fall quite farther down the line in our priority list? There are so many things that we are tempted to put above our children. Whether you are a stay at home mom, work part time or work full time, you are always being tempted with new priorities. What good person would turn down an opportunity to help the homeless, tutor disabled children or be in charge of the PTO? All of these possibilities are worthy causes and will do some good in the world, but we have to start weeding out the things that in themselves are respectable, but in reality are not helpful to our families. Sure it is good to teach your children to give to others, but what lesson are they going to learn if you are so busy giving to others that you have no time left for them? I am a stay at home mother, but I am still being bombarded with lots of activities to be involved in every day. I have to constantly take time to consider if this is a good choice for the world, me or my family. Even cleaning the house and cooking. I could spend all day cleaning (and it still wouldn't be clean longer than five minutes) and all day cooking a magnificent meal for my family, but what is it that they really want? They want me. My full, undivided attention. I have found that when I give my children attention, they are better behaved and end up doing other things which enables me to get some cleaning or other things (such as this website) accomplished. Taking every day as it comes and making children a priority every single day is not an easy task, but it is necessary in order to make a good grade with the most important assignment God will ever give you. Raising a child. Take some time out today, tomorrow and every other day to listen to, love and laugh with your children. It may be the last opportunity you ever receive.

"Sons are a heritage from the Lord. Children a reward from Him." Psalm 127:3

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryan K. said...

Did you mean "PTA"?

12:10 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Yes, I did mean to type "PTA". Sorry about that little typo.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com